Monday, December 24, 2012

6. Lucky Winner




























Letters in the Post

When I read about my friend Craig Osgood's plan to send letters randomly to unsuspecting people, I was immediately taken back to the days when I was still living with my mother in Kansas and we would regularly get junk mail from an organisation called The Publisher's Clearing House Sweepstakes. As I remember them, these unsolicited letters were often disguised to look like bank cheques made out in huge sums to make you think that you had already won something. I couldn't find a vintage images of those letters on the net but the phrase that stuck in my mind was "Congratulations, You are a Lucky Winner" - and thus I decided to create my own Lucky Winner scheme.

You are a Winner

The concepts of luck, happiness and success seem to be an endless source of fascination to most of us. Does the possession of money or fame or objects bring happiness to people? Perhaps it's just being able to compare our relative amounts of good luck in relation to the people around us that helps influence the state of mind we inhabit in regards to whether or not you consider yourself a "winner". Thoughts that spring to my mind include the idea that anyone who owns a device capable of reading this blog post on the internet is indeed a Lucky Winner in comparison to the many people on this planet living in poverty who can still only dream of owning the kinds of gadgets that we consider out of date as we yearn to be lucky enough to one day be able to buy the next great whizzy this, that or the other. 

The Certificate

So as my response to Craig's letter writing campaign, with your help I would like see if I could spread some happiness and good cheer to a few people. I would like you all to have your own copy of the Lucky Winner Certificate which you can download by clicking on that last link. As an added bonus I would be entirely thrilled if any one who reads this post would go so far as to actually print out a copy of the certificate and present it to someone you know. As you can see I have done the same myself in the form of a greeting card that I sent to my friend Victoria Wright because Victoria mentioned that she liked Craig's last post about hand-written letters so much. The card itself is hopefully a nice thing to receive but additionally, in my letter to Victoria, I mentioned some of her qualities as a person that I feel mark her out as one of life's lucky winners and of which she should be proud.

Please feel free to resize or make any changes you would like to my design and of course print as many copies as you like. The crowning glory would be if any of you could respond in the comments of this blog with stories of how you made use of the Lucky Winner certificate. Best wishes to all of you Lucky Winners out there.

Rex Boyd

2 comments:

  1. lovely idea I will pass it on x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let us know if you do actually print out a certificate for someone and tell us what they thought when they got it please.

      Rex

      Delete